Page numbers help readers a lot. By seeing the page number of a particular topic in the index you can go directly to the page you want to read in no time. Page numbers are also considered as a part of formatting for some documents. In a presentation, slide number works the same; it helps you and audience to tell where you’re in the presentation. Just like Word documents, you can add slide numbers to your presentation in Microsoft PowerPoint.
Here is how to add and remove the page/slide numbers from PowerPoint slides in Windows and Mac
How to add page/slide numbers in PowerPoint for PC
The steps given here are specifically for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, and 365. If you’re using PowerPoint earlier than these versions, then the steps will vary. Go through the below steps to add numbers to the slides of your presentation.
1. Launch your PowerPoint app and open the presentation in which you want to add slide numbers. You can directly open the presentation in PowerPoint application by clicking twice on the file. But, make sure to open it in the standard view.
2. Now, go to the first slide of the presentation. If you want to give the number from the first slide, then it must be on the screen.
3. Click the ‘Insert’ tab at the top.
4. Then choose ‘Slide Number’ from the ‘Text’ group. Header and Footer window will open on your desktop.
5. Make sure you’re in the Slide tab, then click and check the box of ‘Slide Number’ under the Include on slide tab.
6. If you want to add the slide number only on the current slide, then click the ‘Apply’ button. In case you don’t want to add the numbers to all the slides in the presentation or skip a few slides in between, then you can use this method.
7. Click ‘Apply to All’ to add the slide numbers to the entire slides of the presentation.
8. If you want all the slides to show a number except the first one, then you need to check the box of ‘Don’t show on the title slide’ before clicking ‘Apply to All.’
9. Now, click open the ‘Notes and Handouts’ tab from the upper left corner, if you want to give slide numbers to the notes pages. Check the box of ‘Page number’ by clicking it, and then click ‘Apply to All.’
10. Instead of starting the slide number from 1, you can also choose a number of your choice to start from. Here is how.
• Open the ‘Design’ tab.
• Click on ‘Slide Size’ under the Customize group. In PowerPoint 2010, click on ‘Page Setup’ under Page Setup group.
• Then go to ‘Custom Slide Size.’
• And enter the number you want to start the slide numbers from under ‘Number slides from.’
How to add page/slide numbers in PowerPoint for Mac
1. Open the presentation in standard view on your Microsoft PowerPoint application of your Mac.
2. Open the ‘Insert’ tab from the top and choose ‘Slide Number.’ Header and Footer tab will open on the screen.
3. Click and check the box of ‘Slide Number.’
4. Now, enter the beginning number from which you want the slide numbers to start from.
5. If you want to add the slide number only on the current slide, then click the ‘Apply’ button.
6. If you want all the slides to show number except the first one, then you need to check the box of ‘Don’t show on the title slide’ before clicking ‘Apply to All.’
Slide numbers will be added to your PowerPoint slides.
How to remove the slide number from your PowerPoint presentation
1. Save a copy of the presentation to keep the original document.
2. Open the ‘Insert’ tab.
3. Select ‘Slide Number’ from the Text section.
4. Remove the checkmark from the box of Slide number.
5. Click ‘Apply to All.’
Slide numbers will get removed from all the slides of your presentation.
Lily Johnsol is a Microsoft Office expert and has been working in the technical industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Davis has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as office.com/setup.