Undoubtedly, a comfortable environment encourages people to work without distractions. Unless you do not get an environment where you feel good, you will not be able to focus on your work. Google Chrome is a popular browser because of its utilities and features. Now, you can also change home screen background or set themes in your Chrome browser. From some new versions, Google Chrome gives a specific “Customize this Page” button on the home screen to change the background. Moreover, you’re also provided with a place called “Chrome Store” where you’ll get themes of your choice.
Possibly, you may be bored with that white background you see when you launch Chrome. Here is how to add themes and change the home screen background in Chrome.
You won’t be able to change the background in your Chrome if it is not up to date. So, before going ahead, make sure that your browser is running on the newest version. Follow these steps to verify and update your browser.
• Launch your ‘Chrome’.
• Click on ‘More’ at the far right in the Chrome toolbar to open options dropdown.
• Take your mouse to ‘Help’ and then click on ‘About Google Chrome’.
• After that, click on the ‘Update’ option. If any update is found, then it will download and install automatically.
• Wait for your Chrome browser to update. Once it does, you’ll be prompted to restart your browser to apply changes.
• Click ‘Relaunch’ to open Chrome in the updated version.
Now, you can proceed to change the background in Google Chrome. You have two methods for doing this and both are given in this article.
How to change home screen background in Chrome with ‘Customize this page’ button
1. Launch your ‘Chrome’.
2. You must be on Chrome’s home screen to see the ‘Customize the page’ button. If you’re browsing or doing work on any website, then you can open a new tab to access the home screen.
3. Click on the ‘+’ button at the very top of the browser window to open a new tab, if necessary.
4. In the new tab, click on the ‘Customise this page’ (Pencil icon) button or ‘Settings’ (gear icon) button near the lower right corner of the window. A popup menu will prompt with several options to customize the page.
5. Now, select an option according to your choice:
• Chrome backgrounds: Clicking it will open a dialog box where you’ll get the official background images provided by Chrome. You can choose an image category to see the available background images.
• Upload an image: You can select an image from your device storage. Clicking it will open the File Explorer dialog in Windows or Finder on Mac.
6. Use these dialog boxes to browse and view the picture you want to set as Chrome’s home screen background.
7. Select an image by clicking on it. If you’re uploading from your storage, then you will also have to click the ‘Open’ button.
8. Click ‘Done’ to apply.
The selected image will be set as your Chrome background. Now, whenever you open a new tab, it will open with this background.
How to add themes to your Chrome browser
If you’ve ever visited Chrome Store for adding extensions to your browser, then adding themes will be easy for you. Here is how.
1. Launch your ‘Chrome’, if you’ve closed it.
2. Click ‘More’ at the far right in the Chrome toolbar to open options dropdown.
3. Click on ‘Settings’ to open setting for Chrome.
4. Scroll down to the ‘Appearance’ section.
5. And click on ‘Themes’. It is the first option under the Appearance heading. Clicking it will open the Chrome web store and take you to the ‘Themes’ section. If not, then click on ‘Themes’ in the left side menu.
6. Go through the themes available to find the one you would like to use and add to your browser.
7. Click on the ‘Themes’ Title’ in which you’re interested.
8. Then click the blue color ‘Add to Chrome’ button to download the theme.
Once the theme is installed and applied to your browser, you will see changes in your Chrome. If you don’t see any change, open a new tab or relaunch your Chrome.
Lily Johnsol is a McAfee product expert and has been working in the technology industry since 2002. As a technical expert, Emma has written technical blogs, manuals, white papers, and reviews for many websites such as mcafee.com/activate.